Saturday, April 27, 2013

ANZAC Day 2013

Hello!

I'm a bit late with this post as a result of a three day internet outage. Thursday 25 April was ANZAC Day here in Australia. This is the day that we remember the service men and women who have served in the defence forces to protect our beautiful home. April 25 is the anniversary of the first landing at Gallipoli in 1915. On this day each year, I take my two girls down to our local march and service. There is always a large crowd, and all of the participants make me proud. Watching the old servicemen march brings tears to my eyes. My photos aren't fabulous this year, I had the dog pulling on the lead while I tried to focus, but I'll share a little of what I got.

Looking up the road, the Girl Guides and Scouts marching.
Looking down the road, the march goes to our local shopping centre, where the cenotaph stands in the carpark. 
One of the marching bands, leading the diggers (servicemen). The other band is the local highschool band, but I missed taking a photo of them. Both bands did a superb job.



The cenotaph. We got a pretty good spot this year - we could see and hear most of the service.
The laying of the wreaths by representatives of the Air Force, Army, and Navy.
My kids being very patient while the service was going. I was so proud that they stood at the right times, stayed quiet for the minute's silence, and were respectful and well-behaved the whole time.







Lest We Forget.

Michelle

1 comment:

  1. Such a wonderful tribute to those who served their country. Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete